Smith-Burnett House – Crestline

This large house was built for Benjamin O. Smith, president of Farmers’ and Mechanics’ National Bank, who moved to Fort Worth in 1884. Smith began construction of his house on a site overlooking the West Fork of the Trinity River immediately following the 1910-11 development of the River Crest Country Club and adjacent area. In 1916 he sold the house to Tom Burnett, son of Samuel Burk Burnett. Mrs. Ollie Burnett resided in the house until 1948. Constructed in an eclectic Period Revival style, the tan brick house features a central projecting portico of two stories with a high, gabled parapet. The first floor of the entry bay features a tripartite opening framed by cast-stone Ionic columns; a Palladian window with a cast-stone cartouche above embellishes the second floor. To the east, a two-story projecting bay has full-length windows framed in paired Ionic pilasters. The house underwent extensive alterations in 1948, and again around 1961.

Leave a Comment