Tarrant County Orphans’ Home – Lancaster

This building was originally an orphans’ home situated on a 28 acre farm which provided food, shelter and vocational training for almost 100 children. It replaced an earlier structure built in 1908 with money raised by the Fort Worth Benevolent Home Association. The Benevolent Home Association had cared for orphans since 1887 in the Lloyd Building on Main Street and later at a small home near Samuels Avenue and Cold Springs Road. The 1908 building burned in 1914 and was replaced the same year by this structure. Architects Muller and Pollard designed the new three-story building, constructed of brick and reinforced concrete. The building has a forward projecting central bay and a series of small stepped parapets. A heavy cast stone belt course runs above the first and third floors. A large dormitory addition to the west, designed by Harvey D. Withers in 1936-37, sensitively blends with the original building. The building housed the offices of the Tarrant County Human Services department for several years after the children’s home closed. The structure has been demolished, but is retained in the survey report for purposes of documentation.

Leave a Comment