Texas and Pacific Railroad Underpasses – Conner

This pair of reinforced concrete and steel underpasses was built to accommodate automobile traffic on Conner Avenue beneath the Texas and Pacific Railroad tracks and Lancaster Avenue. Constructed in 1936-37 with partial funding from the Public Works Administration Federal Grade Separation Program, these bridges replaced earlier viaducts built in 1927. The City of Fort Worth and the Texas and Pacific Railroad also shared the $40,000 construction costs. The underpasses were designed by the City Engineer’s Office and constructed by Cage Brothers and Luther Turner. Conner Avenue was also straightened and resurfaced as part of the project (see P-100). Of similar design, each of the underpasses has parallel rows of piers which form pedestrian walkways flanking Conner Ave. The automobile viaduct has pedestrian stairways and an attractive round arch balustrade.

Leave a Comment