Travis Avenue Baptist Church – Travis

Travis Avenue Baptist Church had its beginning c. 1908 as a non-denominational Sunday School which met south of here. This was organized as South Side Baptist Church in January, 1911. The present site was purchased in 1913 to put the church closer to new residential developments; a small wood-framed meeting hall was re-erected on the new property, and enlarged soon after. A new brick sanctuary was begun in 1921 and completed in 1924, by which time the church had assumed its present name. Two-story brick education buildings were added in 1937 and 1952. Beginning in 1954, property was amassed on adjacent parcels for a new sanctuary. Ground was broken in the fall of 1957; the building was dedicated in the spring of 1959. Designed by Preston M. Geren and built by Child’s Construction Co., it is a large and impressive example of late Georgian Revival church design, rendered in red brick with white cast stone trim, featuring a giant order pedimented portico and steepled bell tower. The older buildings survive and house classrooms and offices. In 2005, an addition was built across Travis Avenue connecting the sanctuary with the 1952 addition. Larry Foxworth was the architect for the project.

Leave a Comment