Trinity Park Shelter – 7th

The river bank land on which Trinity Park now lies was used in the late nineteenth century by the public as unofficial picnic grounds by permission of the owner, Major K. M. VanZandt. The city purchased a total of 217 acres here in eight parcels between 1892 and 1928 to form Fort Worth’s first public park. Works Progress Administration Project No. 5771 of improvements to Trinity Park included the construction of a theater, music court, and shelter house as well as lagoons, a fountain, trails and public areas. The red-orange brick park shelter facing W. 7th Street was constructed in 1935-37. The shelter features a central hipped pavilion flanked by lower solid masonry dependencies housing public bathrooms and storage. Twin gabled porticos with segmental archways are set at each end of the central breezeway, which exhibits an open, heavy trussed ceiling. Shingles set in coursed bands sheath the hipped roof. Restored in the late 1970s, the structure is very well maintained.

Leave a Comment