Two Houses – 416, 418 Grant Avenue

416, 418 Grant Avenue [SAHD(NR)], Two Houses, c. 1905.  This pair of folk houses with L-plans and gabled roofs are distinguished by their graceful form.  Fragile looking galleries follow the planes of the front wall.  The unusual metal roofs mayor may not be original.  These houses were built as rental property, and the first tenants were Alonzo Brown, a Rock Island Railway worker, and Nancy Owens, a widow.  The houses contribute to the proposed Samuels Avenue National Register Historic District.  Please see the note about this district on pages 10-11.

Leave a Comment