West Side High School – University

Built as West Side High School in 1922, shifting area population changed the name and use of this structure to Van Zandt School No. 30, serving the elementary grades, in 1923. The cornerstone was laid in a ceremony March 31, 1922, and the school opened for classes the following fall. Containing thirteen classrooms, a cafeteria, auditorium and gym, the school was closed in 1964; since that time the structure has housed Fort Worth Independent School District offices. The local architectural firm of Clarkson and Gaines is credited with the design. Over a high basement story, the blocky structure is faced in red brick with blue-black brick banding and cast-stone trim. Arched portico projects form each end of the symmetrical front elevation. A brick cornice with dentils surmounts the second-story windows; above this a cast-stone plaque bears the original school name. The front elevation features a stepped parapet with coping of dark brick and cast stone; the central parapet is adorned further by a projecting cartouche. Architecturally intact at the time of its demolition in 1986, this structure has been retained in the survey for purposes of documentation.

Leave a Comment