U.S. Postal Service for the restoration of Fort Worth’s historic post office at 251 West Lancaster Avenue.
Built between 1931-33, designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick and the Chicago firm of Ralph Sollitt & Sons, Fort Worth’s Beaux Arts, downtown Post Office building is universally beloved. Customized to reflect Fort Worth’s cattle ranching heritage, the capitals at the top of the building’s limestone columns were carved in the shape of longhorn steer heads. In 2014, when HFW learned that the post office was being offered for sale, it placed the building on its endangered list. Before long it was announced that this local, state and national landmark was to remain with the Postal Service and that much needed restoration work was about to begin.