Perrone Pharmacy, Inc. 1958 3921 HWY 377 South
Historic Designations: None
Owned by: Kim Perrone Bailey
Project by: George Thomasson, AIA
Nominated by: Francie Allen
Council Member: The Honorable Brian Byrd
After serving in WWII in Normandy, Paul Perrone entered pharmacy school at the University of Texas. Upon graduation, Paul went to work in Dallas at Dougherty Pharmacy where he met and married a customer, a widow named Alice Tucker.
When a small pharmacy in Fort Worth at the far west end of Camp Bowie was for sale, Paul and his family made the move west. In 1958 the pharmacy moved into its current building that had been built two years earlier for Dr. Melvin Johnson. In 1980 the Perone’s youngest daughter, Kim, graduated from pharmacy school at the University of Texas and eventually returned home to start her practice with the family drug store.
The Perrone Drug Store building is designed in the vernacular Modern Style that flourished in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Although this style is related to the International Style with flat roofs and no decorative detailing, the vernacular Modern Style lacks the stark white stucco wall surfaces. They are typically constructed of brick or a combination of brick and wood. Roofs could be flat or have a low-pitched gable with an overhang.