Hogsett House – Hillcrest

Joseph B. Hogsett, president of Ballard Ice and Fuel purchased in 1926 two and one-quarter lots fronting on Hillcrest Street, formerly called Country Club Road. Construction of his house probably occurred soon after, as he resided here by 1928. The house remained in the Hogsett family until 1981. Hogsett’s residence is a careful reproduction of … Read more

Bratten-Brittingham House – Westover

Philip M. and Ruth Bratten purchased this property in 1930; Mr. Bratten was president and treasurer of P. M. Brat- ten Co., distributors of Frigidaire refrigerators, and later district manager for the Frigidaire Corporation. Mrs. Lucille Matthews Brittingham, a member of the prominent Matthews family know for their substantial cattle ranches in West Texas, purchased … Read more

Feagin House – Meadowbrook

This large Colonial Revival house has a full two-story, pedimented portico with Tuscan columns on stone bases. The house has an elegant Federal style entrance door with side lights and a fanlight transom. The symmetrical facade has four double-hung windows flanking the central portico. The house is covered with white stucco. James A. Feagin and … Read more

Fash House – Oakland

Ralph H. and Annie G. Fash purchased this property in 1920, and built this house in 1925. Mr. Fash founded Fort Worth Laboratories. This house is one of the largest and most accomplished examples of Tudor Revival in East Fort Worth. It was designed by William C. Meador, an architect who made frequent use of … Read more

Bledsoe House – Stratford

Mrs. Ellen R. Bledsoe purchased this lot in 1924 for $1,500 from the Beacon Hill Land Co. and hired Abey H. Smith to build this house in 1925. Norvelle and Roy R. Bledsoe occupied the house during 1925. Mr. Bledsoe was the manager of Rosenthal Furniture Co. The house is a handsome two- story red … Read more

Wright House – Stratford

J. Herman and Peggie Wright purchased this lot from the Beacon Hill Land Co. in 1925 and contracted with builder R.S. Smith to erect this house the same year. Mr. Wright was the office manager for the Fort Worth Warehouse and Storage Co. and his wife was a music teacher; they lived here until 1935. … Read more

Wallace-Rowan House – Chapin

This large, two and one-half story house is an unusual combination of Period Revival style elements, with steeply pitched gables and a Colonial Revival style entry framed by engaged Tuscan columns. The house is clad in wide clapboard siding and has a shingled roof; a west wing appears to be an addition. The house, many … Read more

Corn House – Highway 377 (East side, North of Tiger Trail)

James William Corn, born in 1850, came to Texas at age seventeen and made a fortune as a cattle and land dealer. In 1922, he was recorded as owning nearly 55,000 acres in Tarrant and other counties, and the following year was called one of the “pioneer builders” of Texas. Corn was also vice-president of … Read more

Bryan House – Hillcrest

Morgan Bryan was a partner in the law firm of Bryan, Stone, Wade and Agerton in the 1920s. Construction of his house probably occurred soon after the purchase of one and one-half lots on Hillcrest Street in 1923. The house remained in the Bryan family until 1959. Bryan commissioned Joseph R. Pelich to design his … Read more

Barwise House – Hillcrest

Tax records are inconclusive regarding the date of initial purchase of the property from River Crest Land Company, but family reminiscences indicate that Joseph G. Hogsett, who purchased his property at 925 Hillcrest Street in 1926 (925 Hillcrest Street), had this house constructed for his sister, Mrs. Jospeh H. Barwise. Joseph and Lucy Barwise are … Read more