North Hi Mount Elementary School – 7th

Replacing earlier temporary school buildings on the site, North Hi Mount Elementary School was constructed 1934-35 by Works Progress Administration labor. Architect Wyatt C. Hedrick was responsible for the Spanish-Mediterranean Revival design; James T. Taylor was contractor for the Fort Worth bond project. One-story auditorium and cafeteria wings project forward from the two-story main block … Read more

Poston House – Rogers

George C. Poston was a retired Weatherford merchant, owner of Baker-Poston Department Store in Weatherford as well as president of Southwestern Building & Loan Association and vice president of Kingsbery Manufacturing Co. This two-story house was constructed in a prominent corner location in the University Place subdivision in 1926; architect Wiley G. Clarkson was responsible … Read more

DeVitt House – Tulsa

This unusual house is constructed on a generally rectangular plan and sports a veneer of yellow brick and a gable roof clad in red Mission tile. Prominent features of the front elevation include a fanciful Missionesque parapet with cast-stone coping over an equally flamboyant Missionesque cast-stone lintel. The Tulsa Way site was purchased in 1928 … Read more

Stone House – Rivercrest

A building permit indicates that the contracting firm of West and Womack constructed this two-story house for Gaylord J. and Hattie Stone. Stone was president and general manager of Universal Mills, Inc. The large buff brick house of staggered rectangular plan sports vaguely Classical decorative elements below a hipped roof clad in Mission tile.

Sycamore Heights Baptist Church – Purington

Sycamore Heights Baptist Church was founded in 1922. Charter members and church trustees T.L. Black, Harry G. Leath and WD. West voted to acquire this site for a church building in 1923. This building was constructed shortly thereafter under the leadership of the first pastor, Reverend R.R. Pulliam. The unusual Mission Revival style church has … Read more

Amon Carter Riverside High School Park Shelter – Yucca

This small Mis¬sion Revival park shelter has an exposed timber ceiling, a red tile hip roof and cross timber rai1ins. Slightly elevated on a concrete platform, the open-air structure evokes the feeling of a small temple. During 1935-36, the Works Progress Administration improved and landscaped the grounds of twenty-one Fort Worth schools an undertaking which … Read more

Warner House – Goldenrod

This single story, stucco clad house is a particularly successful adaptation of the Mission Revival style to a modem house. Built in 1930, the house is designed as a series of projecting and recessed Mission style parapets. A low wall and segmental arch Mission parapet with a wrought iron gate enclose a small front courtyard. … Read more

Richardson House – Galvez

This un¬usual house, a blending of bungalow, ranch, and mission style architecture, is faced in tan brick and has a red tiled hipped roof. The house has a full recessed porch with arched side openings and a hipped porte-cochere. Charles O. Chromaster was the architect, and Charles W. Robinson served as the contractor. The house … Read more

Crystal Ice Company – Dexter

This brick structure served as an ice factory for commercial and local domestic use in the days before refrigerators. Leased by the Arlington Heights Ice Co., the Crystal Ice Co. was operated for over fifty years by the Maddox family. During the 1940s the building also was the first of the Iceteria Food Store chain. … Read more

Taylor-Roeser House – Crestline

James Thomas Taylor, a native of England, was president of the James T. Taylor Co., a sash and door manufacturer, a founder of the Portland Cement Factory in Dallas, and a contractor of public roads. Between 1915 and 1917 Taylor purchased four adjoining lots from the River Crest Land Co. Construction of the house began … Read more