Elliott Commercial Row – Camp Bowie

This small, one-story commercial row contains six storefronts roofed in Mission tile and separated by parapeted brick piers. James P. Elliott, a contractor and first owner of the site, may have constructed the row about 1926. Early tenants included a cafe, barbershop, beauty shop and cleaners; similar concerns have located in the building since that … Read more

Renfro Drug Company No. 13/ Alexander-Bales Store No. 1 – Camp Bowie

Texas Pacific Coal and Oil Co. purchased this triangular lot flanked by Camp Bowie Boulevard and W. 7th Street in 1928. Construction of their commercial building occurred soon after. First tenants in 1929 of the site were Renfro Drug Co. Store No. 13 and Alexander-Bales Stores of Texas No. 1. Used by a number of … Read more

Crites-Lawrence House – 5th

This one-story stucco-clad house has a Baroque/Mission Style parapet and half-round portico opening onto a full terrace with urn-topped balustrade. It was designed by Joseph R. Pelich for J. H. Crites and built in 1922. Original plans called for a second story. Shortly after construction was completed, the house was sold to Henry W. Lawrence, … Read more

Charlynne Apartments – 7th

The Charlynne Apartments were first listed in the 1929 City Directory and were probably constructed shortly before. Marvin B. Simpson was the first listed owner of the site in 1936; a rapid succession of owners has occurred since 1940. The yellow brick structure is distinguished by three projecting stairwell bays; topped by Missionesque parapets, the … Read more

Montgomery Wards & Company – 7th

Montgomery Ward, founded in Chicago in 1872, located theft regional retail and mail order house in Fort Worth in 1928, after an extensive promotional campaign by the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce. Constructed in the record time of seven months, the huge eight-story masonry block contained 300,000 square feet of floor space. Thomas S. Byrne … Read more

North SIde Church of Christ – Houston

This frame structure, clad in narrow-milled wood siding, has a gable roof. Simply framed windows on all sides of the plain, one and one-half story structure have been boarded up with identical narrow siding. The distinctive features of the structure are the exaggerated Missionesque parapets on the east and west elevations. When constructed, the church … Read more

Whalen-Jary House – Grand

This substantial Grand Avenue house is composed of a hip-roofed, two-story block flanked by a one-story wing to the south. First-floor walls and Missionesque portico are clad in roughcast stucco, while the second floor is clad in red brick. A 1914 building permit indicates that contractor E. C. Walsh erected the house for Joseph L. … Read more

Fort Worth Live Stock Exchange – Exchange

The Fort Worth Live stock Exchange was constructed in 1902-03 to replace an 1885 exchange building east of the Swift plant. With the stock market for trading of livestock, the barns and pens for holding the livestock, and the meatpacking plant aligned on E. Exchange Avenue, the new location produced an orderly, centralized arrangement of … Read more

Horse and Mule Barns – Exchange

Built by the Fort Worth Stock Yards Co. to complement the Live Stock Exchange building in style, the horse and mule barns were designed by the architectural firm of Klipstein and Rathmann and built by James Stewart and Co., contractors. The barns are constructed of brick, with the E. Exchange Avenue façade sheathed in roughcast … Read more

Coliseum Ticket Office – Exchange

Replacing an earlier entrance to the Coliseum, the present ticket office was constructed in 1941 by contractor Harry B. Friedman. In a harmonious Mission Revival style, the two-story small building of rectangular plan features stucco Missionesque parapets over a one-story brick arcade. Early photographs indicate that the roofs of the two-story block, the arcade, and … Read more