Tucker-McDermott House: 1910 1831 Fairmount Avenue
Historic Designations: Fairmount NR and Local Historic Districts
Owners& Restorers: Mike and Stan Tucker-McDermott
Built by: Charles Butcher, master carpenter
Nominated by: Martin Dahl
Councilmember: The Honorable Ann Zadeh
Vacant for about ten years when purchased, 1831 Fairmount was once owned by an unscrupulous man who carried notes on loans for the house, then foreclosed on them under technicalities, apparently illegally. He did this to four homeowners from around 1990 through the early 2000s, and he is now serving time in Houston for his crimes.
The house at 1831 Fairmount Avenue was built by Charles Butcher, a carpenter/builder. Eventually, Mr. Butcher formed a partnership with Robert C. Sweeney and together as Butcher and Sweeney, they built Arlington Heights High School, Polytechnic High School, Nash Elementary School, and the previous TCU Stadium. Like the Grunhild-Weber House at 1404 S. Adams that was donated to HFW in 2002, it and 1831 Fairmount are both Wilson Bungalow catalog homes, mail order plans from a California designer. This house was lovingly restored by Mike and Stan Tucker-McDermott.