Paddock Viaduct – Main

Paddock Viaduct was constructed in 1913-14 to improve transportation to the rapidly developing meat packing district of North Fort Worth. Designed by the St. Louis engineering firm of Brenneke and Fay and constructed by Hannan-Hickey Brothers Construction, also of St. Louis, this bridge was the first reinforced concrete arch bridge in the nation to use … Read more

Mitchell-Schoonover House – 8th

James E. Mitchell, a jeweler, demanded a high degree of skilled craftsmanship in the construction of this house. Built in 1907, it was designed by the important Fort Worth architectural firm of Sanguinet & Staats. A friend, Dr. Charles B. Simmons, purchased the property in 1920. Ownership of the home was transferred to his daughter … Read more

Thannisch Block – Exchange

This three-story commercial building and hotel, located at the major intersection of E. Exchange Avenue and N. Main Street, was financed by an early investor and real estate developer of North Fort Worth, Colonel Thomas M. Thannisch. Moving to the area in 1894, he was a city alderman, vice-president of the Exchange National Bank and … Read more

Johnson House – Chase

Dr. Clay Johnson was a noted Fort Worth physician and civic leader. He served on the Fort Worth Board of Education during the 1910s. The architects he chose for his house on Chase Court were Marion L. Waller and E. Stanley Field, who designed several schools in the city, including the old Fort Worth High … Read more

Fort Worth Live Stock Exchange – Exchange

The Fort Worth Live stock Exchange was constructed in 1902-03 to replace an 1885 exchange building east of the Swift plant. With the stock market for trading of livestock, the barns and pens for holding the livestock, and the meatpacking plant aligned on E. Exchange Avenue, the new location produced an orderly, centralized arrangement of … Read more

James-Fujita House – College

The two and one-half story wood-framed James-Fujita House is rectangular in plan, sheathed in red brick, with a glazed green-tiled gambrel roof. The roof extends to cover a full porch supported by Tuscan columns. An awkwardly over-scaled shed-roofed dormer with recessed balcony is over the porch. Large chimneys are set on each end wall. Built … Read more

Fort Worth Stock Yards Sign and Marine Creek Bridge – Exchange

Fort Worth Stock Yards Sign and Marine Creek Bridge, 1910. A major improvement to the street, the Topeka Bridge & Land Co. constructed the Exchange Avenue bridge across Marine Creek and the Fort Worth Stock Yards sign for the Fort Worth Stock Yards Co., the property owners. Built for the grand opening on March 14, … Read more

Tanner House – Hemphill

The one-story brick Tanner House has a partial second story, rambling plan and combination gabled and hipped roofs. Built c. 1925 for J. F. Tanner and owned by the Tanner family until 1960, when it was purchased by the Edna Gladney Home. Mrs. Edna Gladney (1889-1961) became a director of the Texas Children’s Home & … Read more

Oakwood Cemetery – Grand

Grand Avenue, curving gracefully past its impressive bluff-top houses, leads to Oak- wood Cemetery, which is set on axis with Circle Park Boulevard. A semi-rural oasis in the urbanized North Side, the cemetery is situated on a broad, sloping expanse punctuated with mature oaks, stretching down to the banks of the West Fork of the … Read more

Munchus House – Terrell

The Munchus House is a two-story wood-framed resdence clad in narrow siding, rectangular in plan with gabled roof. A shed-roofed porch extends across the front, becoming a gabled porte-cochere to the west, supported by clusters of wood posts on high brick piers; gables are set over the entry and driveway. Applied half-timbering in the gables, … Read more

Membership has its rewards

Please join with other generous individuals, corporations, and foundations to help Historic Fort Worth with its mission to preserve history.

Tour McFarland House for Free. Receive free membership tour tickets as other discounts.

Historic Fort Worth is a 501c (3) charity.