S.T. Percy Building – Main

S. T. Percy acquired this site between 1904 and 1909, and the present structure was erected in 1909, replacing earlier retail businesses. First tenants of the building were a saloon and a lunch counter. Furniture, grocery, shoe and drug stores have occupied the building since 1914. The small, brick, two-story structure is in poor condition; … Read more

Packers AVE – 14th

Brick streets along E. Exchange Avenue and Packers Avenue were laid about 1912 following a 1911 fire in the stockyards area. The streets in and around the industrial compounds were most likely paved during the early phases of plant construction. After the annexation of the North Side, the Thurber Construction Co., under contract to the … Read more

St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church – Ross

Reputed to be the first Greek Orthodox congregation in Texas, St. Demetrios Church was founded in 1910. Parishioners raised $750 in 1916 to purchase land and construct a church. The cornerstone indicates that the structure was constructed in 1917; Weinman family reminiscences and period newspaper articles indicate that Ludwig B. Weinman was the architect of … Read more

Fire Station No. 12 – Prospect

Acquisition of this North Side site for use as a fire station occurred in 1909. Sanguinet and Staats were responsible for the plans and specifications. This architectural firm worked with Innis-Graham Construction Co. on several fire stations during 1909 and 1910 and the station is virtually identical to two others from the same period in … Read more

Ross House – Park

Called at one time the world’s leading horse and mule dealer, Waddy R. Ross was a self-made millionaire who made his fortune by supplying horses and mules during both world wars. Arriving in Fort Worth in 1905, he and his brothers established the Ross Brothers Horse and Mule Co. Purchasing three lots in 1917 at … Read more

201 E Northside DR – Northside

Early ownership history of this fine Victorian house is not well documented. An unusually elaborate house for the North Side, the two-story, hip-roofed, T-plan house has gabled wings projecting at right angles to the south and west. A recessed, two-story gallery is placed between the southwest angle of the wings. Decorative shingles, turned porch posts … Read more

North Side Senior High School – McKinley

The Fort Worth Independent School District undertook a major building campaign of public schools during the Depression years, with several projects throughout the city financed by the Works Progress Administration to provide local relief work. Wiley G. Clarkson, a major Fort Worth architect known for his successful adaptions of period designs for school and other … Read more

Alderson Millinery Shop – Main

A 1924 mechanic’s lien indicates that this store was constructed for Mrs. Virginia E. Alderson, a widow. A similar shop apparently was erected for owner Paul Mihniewicz at the same time on the adjoining lot to the north, although this is no longer extant. The one-story, parapeted brick structure has corbeled and glazed brickwork in … Read more

Motor Supply and Brake Service – Main

This one-story commercial garage has a central garage entry flanked by fixed-pane windows on either side. The structure is faced in gleaming white, glazed brick. Tax records indicate that the structure was most likely built around 1945 on the former site of a garage. William H. Baker and Olin S. Hughes operated the Motor Supply … Read more