House – 426 Samuels Avenue

426 Samuels Avenue, House, c. 1898.  A simple shotgun house constructed of vertical boards and batterns, this structure first appears on an 1898 Sanborn File Insurance Map.  It was a rental property; Henry Jahn, a blacksmith who occupied the house from 1903-1908, is the first identified tenant.  The house has been demolished, but this listing … Read more

Commercial Building – 302-04 Houston Street

302-04 Houston Street, Commercial Building, c. 1900; c. 1925.  This two-story brick commercial structure was built around 1900 and remodeled circa 1925, when the storefronts were clad with Vitrolite and pressed aluminum siding, Tenants through the years included Piggly Wiggly grocery, Nobby Harness Co., Austin Hotel, Martin’s Women’s Clothing, Hanover Shoe Store, Sherman’s Men’s Shop, … Read more

House – 811 E. Bluff Street

811 E. Bluff Street [SAHD(NR)], House, C. 1915.  Built about 1915, this house served as rental property until 1946.  Among the early tenants were a number of railroad workers, the first being J.O. Tucker and R.L. Downs, conductor and engineer respectively for the Chicago Rock Island and Gulf Railway, who lived here from 1915 until … Read more

Criminal Courts and Jail Building – 300 W. Belknap Street

300 W. Belknap Street [Gov (NR)], Criminal Courts and Jail Building, 1962.  The Criminal Courts and Jail Building of 1962 bears an interesting comparison with the adjacent 1917 Criminal Court Building (CBD 46) to which it is connected by an elevated corridor.  Designed by the firm of Easterwood and Easterwood and built by Butcher & … Read more

Fort Worth Club Building – 306 W. Seventh Street

306 W. Seventh Street [NR/Sky (NR)/CFO(NR)], Fort Worth Club Building, 1925-26; 1953-54.  On March 1, 1926, the Fort Worth Club moved from its old home on W. Sixth Street (CBD 25) to this new building which the Fort Worth Star-Telegram called “one of the most graceful on the skyline of Fort Worth.”  The local architectural … Read more

Commercial Building – 308 Main Street

308 Main Street, Commercial Building, c. 1906. Site of the legendary White Elephant Saloon (along with CBD 113) and its second-floor cock fighting pit during the 1890s, the current building at this location was constructed about 1906 and first housed Charles M. Cates, haberdasher, on the ground floor. Central Texas Realty, J.A. Reisacker Musical Instrument … Read more

George W. Norton House- 601 E. First Street

601 E. First Street [EFHD], George W. Norton House, c. 1898. This one-story, L-plan Queen Anne style cottage is the best preserved of three similar residences on the north side of this block. The porch, with a hipped roof and small entry gable is supported by decorative turned posts and balusters and enlivened with a … Read more

August Mignon House – 701 E. First Street

701 E. First Street, Augustus R. Mignon House, c. 1889. The stick style detailing seen on this house, including decorative trusses in the gable ends of the roof and quarter-round flat brackets with jig-sawn linear designs on the porch, is unusual in Fort Worth. The house was probably constructed about 1889, by Augustus R. Mignon, … Read more